GHSA Annual Report: July 1, 2019, to June 30, 2020
GHSA’s latest Annual Report highlights association activities conducted between July 1, 2019, and June 30, 2020. Partnerships are always critical to the Association’s success, but most particularly during the COVID-19 pandemic. GHSA worked with Congress and NHTSA to grant the agency authority to waive or postpone highway safety program requirements impacted by the pandemic – a critical service to our state and territorial highway safety office members.
Partnerships also enabled GHSA to:
- Offer $625,000 in grants for states to combat alcohol- and drug-impaired driving and speeding;
- Select four new federal research projects exploring issues of concern to the states;
- Publish a white paper addressing autonomous vehicle implications for law enforcement and the public;
- Shine a spotlight on the continued uptick in pedestrian fatalities and what states can do about it;
- Help strengthen the relationship between SHSOs and law enforcement;
- Provide free novice driver education and training to teens and their parents through live and online events;
- Deliver safety tips to bicycle delivery partners through onsite events in major U.S. cities;
- Launch the first National Seat Belt Day in November to call attention to the lifesaving importance of buckling up in every seating position; and
- Help shape a national dialogue on the dangers of reckless driving during the pandemic that is bringing the overlooked issue of speeding to the forefront.
Read the full report here.